Sunday 17 February 2013

New Generation of Toy Soldier Enthusiasts

So from the 10th till the 20th, my (getting taller by the day) son & my 2 princesses (that are growing up to quickly) came to visit.

My son is dabbling with 40k, as back stabbing, untrustworthy Eldar. Also he is getting to grips with his painting. He is 16, my girls are 12 and 14, they just like painting figures, at the moment, maybe so they ain't left out, who knows. The youngest paints each part and/or detail of model a different colour, so is yet to find her painting way, or get bored of it, lol. My eldest girl is trying to go semi realistic, she has some potential tbh, I might be able to train her up to do my stuff, unless she gets bored of her Dad's silly hobby. My son well he is the same, in the fact of trying to be neat and get realistic looking models,  but he (due to eagerness to play) may be a "table top standard" painter, he may prove me wrong.

This is all got me thinking, about All aspects of our wonderful hobby of "toy plastic soldiers", what's right or wrong to teach the new generation, obviously beardiness is something to be avoided,  but is cheesiness, good or bad, or is it the situation that makes it ok or bad.

I know I will teach them my mantra of "winning is all well and gd, but having fun is the key", that said if you are obviously in a tournie, the winning is kinda important, but not at the cost of fun, for you and more importantly your opponents. I feel a loss is a good thing, as you learn more about your gaming tactics & army.

Should there even be a Short list of what to teach/inform the next generation of? That's a doozy of a question, hmmm, I have hurt my brain.

3 comments:

  1. While I understand the sentiment you're getting at here, I think it's probably worth mentioning that the sort of ethos that should be taught to younger players should are the same ethos that everybody should play with whether they're new to hobby or remember the halcyon days when Games Workshop was decent, whether they're a casual level player or if they're ultra competetive.

    Some things that spring to mind, a couple you've already mentioned:

    1: RTFRB. Read The Frigging Rule Book. I'm sure you remember some of the fun people had playing with a certain player back when we used to go to a certain establishment!

    2: Don't cheat, play fair. If you really need to cheat to play, this ain't the hobby for you.

    3: Have fun. There was a time when I forgot that this is what wargames were about, and it was not a good time for me.

    I'm feeling tired and like I'm rambling so I'm going to leave it at this for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the have fun rule, has always been my no1 rule, if it ain't fun why bother, it's a hobby not a job,. This is why over my many many years of playing wargaming, regardless of game, there are some players who I have refused to play or just stopped playing. Also I can't believe I forgot read (also learn, it) the rule book, add to this the army you will be playing, I think I need another blog to be written on rules and army lists/books and how the are important to be read learnt and understood, ash u fancy that as you are resident rule nazi, lol. I know we both know them for most games but, I feel this is your area to comment and pontificate on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a go, but be ready to put on your editors cap, because I think you've hit the nail on the head with the word pontificate - I may not start condemning players to hell, but ranting and preachy? Those have my name all over!!!

      Delete